- Generous front garden with mature shrubs and wrought iron railings
- 3.5m high ceilings throughout
- Original fireplaces in two reception rooms and four bedrooms
- Two interconnecting reception rooms
- Generous landscaped rear garden
- Internal courtyard bringing additional light to reception room, kitchen and rear reception room
- Large garage to the rear providing invaluable off street parking and storage
- New double glazed sash windows with ballast
- Contemporary kitchen
- Landscaped rear garden with Indian Sandstone
- Garage measures 9.m in depth and 6.3m in width with large gates and rear vehicle access
- Walking distance to the Phoenix Park, the Zoo, many playgrounds, DIT Grangegorman and the Mater Hospital as well Stoneybatter village and Dublin city centre
- Public transport access second to none: 46A on doorstep with other bus routes nearby along with walking distance to both the red and green Luas lines and Heuston station
- Total floor area approx. 191 sq.m (2,065 sq.ft)
Built at the turn of the twentieth century, providing quarters for the married officers of the British Army serving in what was then Marlborough Barracks now McKee Barracks, 2 Marlborough Road is a 5 bed red brick period residence of distinction. Marlborough Road, Dublin 7 is a hidden gem located close to the Phoenix Park in a vibrant neighbourhood in easy walking distance of characterful Stoneybatter village and the city centre. Enjoying a cul-de-sac setting on this small leafy residential road and situated in a row of terraced houses, looking directly onto a detached house which was the Major General’s abode, this family home oozes curb appeal. The terrace boasts a neat row of front gardens with ornate wrought iron railings and pedestrian accesses leading to uniform recessed doorways of imposing full red brick facades with bay windows at ground and first floor level.
There is ample on-street parking to the front while the generous rear gardens offer vehicular access via a rear laneway and off-street parking for two cars. 2 Marlborough Road has a large domestic garage (9m x 6m). The rear garden is beautifully landscaped with Indian sandstone paving, a lush lawn, lavender border, abundant spring bulbs, herb garden and exquisite Maple (acer japonicum) tree.
On entering 2 Marlborough Road one is immediately greeted by a very impressive ornate reception hallway with decorative coving and centre rose, an arch and original timber flooring. However it is perhaps the ceiling height that impresses the most. Indeed throughout the property the generously proportioned rooms with 3.5 metre ceilings offer spacious accommodation beyond the norm. The front reception room is bright and roomy with oodles of natural light being provided by the large bay window overlooking onto the front garden. This interconnects with a second reception room. Both rooms impress with original feature fireplaces, decorative coving, picture rails and original timber flooring.
The kitchen is on the ground floor return and this enjoys an open plan format with the third reception area a modern extension incorporating a shower room and giving access to an internal courtyard that provides natural light to both these rooms and the second reception room. The ground floor return has a very contemporary feel to it, with a sleek fitted kitchen and clean architectural lines defining these rooms where one can imagine a vast amount of the family’s interactions and activities happening. A patio door in turn accesses the beautifully landscaped rear garden and garage.
There is a large double bedroom with fireplace on the first floor return. At first floor level there are two large double bedrooms and a single bedroom. The first floor bay window lends plenty of character to the master bedroom. The fifth bedroom and second bathroom are on the second floor return.
To preserve the integrity of the façade there were new double glazed timber sash windows installed, replacing the original sash windows. The property has gas central heating.
Marlborough Road is a most convenient location, within walking distance of the Phoenix Park, Stoneybatter, Smithfield, Grangegorman DIT Campus and the Mater Hospital. Dublin city centre is an easy 3km walk away. The Red Line LUAS is a 10 minute walk away in Collins Barracks. The cross-city Luas is a 15min walk away in Phibsborough. The 46 A bus route is under 1 minute from the house (bus to city centre frequency at peak times is every 7 minutes). Heuston Station is a 15 minute walk. It is also well served by nearby 37, 38, 39 and 70 buses. The property is well positioned for ease off access to all of the major motorways, and is a twenty minute drive from Dublin International Airport. The M50 is 6km north of the location.
The house is well served by local amenities, sporting facilities, schools and shopping.
Local schools include Belvedere, Castleknock College, St. Declan’s, Loreto on the Green, Mount Sackville, Scoil Caitriona as well as Mount Temple, Castleknock Community College and the new Educate Together Second Level School in Dublin 9. Trinity, DIT and DCU are within easy reach with UCD a single bus ride away. There are 20 primary schools in the area including four Educate Together schools and a gael scoil.
The area is brilliantly located for a range of leisure activities. The Phoenix Park is a five minute walk from the house offering walkers, joggers and cyclists the best possible amenity in the city. Kids will love the easy access to the Zoo (8 minute walk) as well as the huge playground at Aras an Uachtarain and the new modern playground in Grangegorman. There are four local GAA clubs, a soccer academy at Bohemians, cricket in the Park and rowing at Islandbridge. Yoga enthusiasts will find some of Dublin’s best studios including the renowned Elbow Room.
The vibrant evening culture includes buzzing eateries and coffee shops (L Mulligan Grocer, Slice, Cotto, Cowtown café, Love Supreme) and inviting pubs (Walsh’s, Kavanagh’s, The Cobblestone, The Barbers). While home cooks are well provisioned by local artisan shops such as Lilliput, Mooz, Little Italy, Green Door Bakery and Kish. The house is just a stroll from the Lighthouse Cinema, Collin’s Barracks museum, Arbour Hill Cemetery as well as the festivals of Smithfield and Stoneybatter.
- Entrance Hall (7.70m x 1.95m)
- bright spacious entrance hall with original timber floors, decorative coving, centre rose and arch, 3.5m high ceilings, stairwell to first floor level and understair guest wc.
- Front Reception Room (4.60m x 4.70m)
- incorporating the bay window. Stunning reception room with original fireplace with marble surround, decorative coving, centre rose, picture rail, dado rail, original timber floor, large bay window with double glazed sash, double doors lead to
- Reception Room Two (4.85m x 4.05m)
- with feature fireplace with marble surround and tiled inset, decorative coving, centre rose, picture rail, 3.5m high ceiling, window overlooking an internal courtyard and original timber floor.
- Ground Floor Return
- Kitchen Breakfast Room (4.65m x 3.50m)
- Contemporary fitted kitchen with wall and floor mounted units, two integrated full sized ovens, gas hob and extractor fan, integrated dishwasher, large window looking into internal courtyard, original fireplace with flue intact.
- Rear Reception Room (4.40m x 6.65m)
- incorporating a shower room. With doorway to internal courtyard and sliding patio door to the rear garden.
- Shower Room (1.95m x 1.90m)
- with porcelain tiles, white suite with wc and whb, stand in electric shower, heated towel rail and window to courtyard.
- First Floor Return
- Bedroom One (4.45m x 3.45m)
- large double bedroom with feature fireplace.
- First Floor
- Landing (3.25m x 2.00m)
- with large storage cupboard and attic access.
- Bedroom Two (4.30m x 4.90m)
- double bedroom with feature fireplace and window overlooking the rear courtyard and rear garden, 3.5m high ceiling, decorative coving and picture rail.
- Bedroom Three (4.40m x 4.85m)
- incorporating bay window. Large double bedroom with feature fireplace, decorative coving and large bay window overlooking Marlborough Road.
- Bedroom Four (2.65m x 2.00m)
- large single bedroom with window overlooking Marlborough Road.
- Second Floor Return
- Landing (2.00m x 1.70m)
- with hot press and attic access.
- Bedroom Five (2.50m x 3.10m)
- double bedroom with feature fireplace overlooking the rear garden.
- Bathroom (1.80m x 2.65m)
- family bathroom with three piece white suite, wc, whb, enamel bath and power shower.
BER No. 110203536
Energy Performance Indicator: 321.65 kWh/m²/yr
Address: 171 Howth Road, Dublin 3
Telephone: 01 8536016 or you can also email us at email@example.com
Any intending purchaser(s) shall accept that no statement, description or measurement contained in any newspaper, brochure, magazine, advertisement, handout, website or any other document or publication, published by the vendor or by Lisney, as the vendor’s agent, in respect of the premises shall constitute a representation inducing the purchaser(s) to enter into any contract for sale, or any warranty forming part of any such contract for sale. Any such statement, description or measurement, whether in writing or in oral form, given by the vendor, or by Lisney as the vendor’s agent, are for illustration purposes only and are not to be taken as matters of fact and do not form part of any contract. Any intending purchaser(s) shall satisfy themselves by inspection, survey or otherwise as to the correctness of same. No omission, misstatement, misdescription, incorrect measurement or error of any description, whether given orally or in any written form by the vendor or by Lisney as the vendor’s agent, shall give rise to any claim for compensation against the vendor or against Lisney, nor any right whatsoever of rescission or otherwise of the proposed contract for sale. Any intending purchaser(s) are deemed to fully satisfy themselves in relation to all such matters. These materials are issued on the strict understanding that all negotiations will be conducted through Lisney.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.