Search Results

Mount Argus Monastery Harolds Cross D6W

Development & Land Property Sale Agreed
of

Sale Agreed

Features

  • Magnificent redevelopment opportunity of the former Mount Argus Monastery on approx. 0.71ha (1.75 acres)
  • Attached to the Church of Mount Argus and the Shrine of Saint Charles
  • Harolds's Cross is approx 2km south of Dublin city centre and benefits from its excellent accessibility
  • Title: Freehold
  • Full planning permission for its conversion in to 32 residential units
  • Further potential for additional units in the grounds subject to planning permission

Location

Mount Argus and Harold’s Cross is one of the most sought after residential locations in Dublin’s South city centre. There is excellent public transport to and from Dublin city centre with numerous bus routes operating along Kimmage Road and there is a large number of local retail shops along Harold’s Cross together with restaurants and cafés. Mount Argus Park which the monastery overlooks has a wide range of recreational amenities and its setting is sure to be attractive to end purchasers. There is excellent educational facilities in the area including St Claire’s Convent primary school, Scoil Mologa Gael Scoil and Harold’s Cross National School.

Mount Argus is accessed via Kimmage Road Lower and Mount Argus Park, a quiet route leading to the St Paul of the Cross Mount Argus Church. The location has long historical links as the official home of Saint Charles of Mount Argus. Saint Charles of Mount Argus was born John Andrew Houben on the 11th December 1821 in the village of Munstergeleen in Holland. In 1841 he was enrolled for military service and while in the army he heard of the  Passionist’s and decided to join them, with a military service completed in 1845 he joined the Passionist’s at Air in Belgium. He was transferred to Ireland in July 1857 and arrived to the newly founded Monastery of Mount Argus in Dublin. His remains were laid to rest in the cemetery adjoining the church, his grave quickly became a place of pilgrimage. He was Beatified as a saint by Pope John Paul the second in 1988 and was canonised by Pope Benedict in 2007. The feast of St Charles of Mount Argus is celebrated on January 5th.

Full Description

The property comprises a part three storey and part two storey gothic style former Monastery attached to the current Mount Argus Church. It was originally designed by Irish architect JJ McCarthy. It features oak panelling and doors along with a central court yard, tiled mosaic floors and  brick vaulted ceilings. As a purpose built accommodation block it lends itself to be split and the developed area will comprise approx. 2,950 sq. m. (31,755 sq. ft.). The development will be accessed through Mount Argus Park.

Viewing Details

By special appointment with the sole letting agent, Lisney.

Accommodation

    The planning permission (PL 29S.243181 3792/13) which was granted on 30th July 2014 expires on the 13th September 2019 (5 years & 45 days) and allows for the completion of 32 units, 4 one bed apartments, 3 one bed duplex, 1 one bed with study, 11 two bed apartments, 4 two bed plus mezzanine/study, 5 two bedroomed duplex’s and 4 three bedroomed duplex’s.

    As part of the planning permission 9 units were sought at the time in the grounds of the Monastery which were conditioned out of the existing planning permission. However there is potential to apply for a smaller number of units (subject to planning permission). A feasibility report has been carried out which identifies the possbility of obtaining 5 additional units. 

    Description

    Ave. SqM

    No. of units

    1 Bedroom Apartment

    61

    4

    1 Bedroom Duplex

    60

    3

    1 Bed Plus Study

    59

    1

    2 Bedroom Apartment

    91

    11

    2 Bedroom Plus Mezz/Study

    110

    4

    2 Bedroom Duplex

    98

    5

    3 Bedroom Duplex

    134

    4

        32

     

    Zoning

    The property is situated in an area that is zoned Z15 “To protect and provide for institutional and community uses” under the 2016-2022 Dublin City Council Development Plan.

    The Monastery is not a protected structure although the adjoining church is listed on the record of protected structures (no 4342) in the Dublin City Development Plan.

Contact Details

Address: St Stephen's Green House, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2
Telephone: +353-1-638 2700 or you can also email us at dublin@lisney.com

Lisney for themselves and the Vendor/Lessor whose Agents they are give notice that:

1. These particulars do not constitute any part of an offer or contract.

2. All statements contained in these particulars as to this property are made without responsibility on the part of the Agents or the Vendor/Lessor and none of the statements contained in these particulars as to this property are to be relied on as statements or representations of fact.

3. The particulars, various plans, photographs, dimensions, references to condition and permissions for use and occupation  are given in good faith and are believed to be correct but their accuracy is not guaranteed and any intending Purchasers or Tenants shall satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to correctness of each of them. No omission, accidental error or misdescription shall be ground for a claim for compensation or for the rescission of the contract by either the Vendor/Lessor or the Purchaser/Tenant.

  4. Neither the Vendor/Lessor nor Lisney nor any person in their employment has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to the property. 5. Prices are quoted exclusive of VAT (unless otherwise stated) and all negotiations are conducted on the basis that the Purchaser/Tenant shall be liable for any VAT arising on the transaction. PSRA No. 001848.

Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.